Instructions for Dirt, Gravel, & Low-Volume Road Projects

For a printable copy of the directions below, please click here.

  1. Make sure you’re eligible to apply for DGLVR funding.  Eligibility requirements:
  • The person in charge of work plan development and project implementation for the applying entity must have attended environmentally sensitive maintenance (ESM) training within the past 5 calendar years to become “ESM Certified”
    • Check here for ESM training dates
    • Check here to check who is certified in your township
  • The road must be publicly owned.
  • The road must be open to public vehicle travel at least two consecutive weeks out of the year.
  • The project applied for must adequately address any environmental concerns.
  1. Locate a potential project. Contact the Dirt and Gravel Roads technician at the Huntingdon County Conservation District for assistance.
  2. Attend a pre-application meeting at the potential project site with the Dirt and Gravel Roads technician to discuss the project.
  3. Submit an application to the Conservation District.
    • Find the paperwork here
    • Applications for Low-Volume Roads MUST include a traffic count validation. The form and instructions for this can be found at the paperwork link above. Policy requirements for traffic counts can be found in section 7.5 of the Administrative Manual, available online here
    • 2019 project applications are due on June 28, 2019.  Applications must be post-marked by this date.  Electronic applications will be accepted.
  1. The Quality Assurance Board (QAB) will meet to review the rankings and decide which projects to recommend for funding each year.
    • Check out the Huntingdon County QAB policy and project ranking criteria to learn more about how project funding is allocated
    • The Conservation District board will review QAB recommendations and take official action on the recommendations.
  2. If funded, municipalities can then enter into a contract with the Conservation District.
    • Please note that no project work/construction can begin until the contract is signed by both the project participant and the Conservation District.
  3. Acquire any necessary permits for the project.
    • What activities require a permit? Check out this web page for more info
    • Provide a copy of the permit approval letter to the Conservation District.
  4. Provide the District with 30 days’ notice before the project work is to begin.
  5. Attend a pre-construction meeting on site with the HCCD roads technician and any contractors involved in the project to discuss the project plan before work begins.
  6. Do the project! Don’t forget: the Dirt and Gravel technician must be on site during construction.
  7. Final inspection of the project with the District.
    • It is recommended to schedule this meeting directly after construction is completed. That way, equipment is still on site to do any last-minute touch-ups!
  8. Submit copies of invoices, a completion report, and other necessary paperwork to the Conservation District.
    • To find a blank copy of the completion report and see a list of other paperwork the District needs (see the “Contract File Checklist” under “Example Forms”), visit this web page
  9. The Conservation District will process the reimbursement and distribute the DGLVR funding to the municipality for the project.
  10. Enjoy your new and improved road! (and apply again next year!)