Projects Over One Acre/NPDES

Projects that will generate earth disturbance of one (1)  acre or greater are required by Pa Code Title 25 Chapter 102.4 to complete and obtain a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Permit through the HCCD. Projects occurring within a High Quality or Exceptional Value Watershed must apply for an Individual Permit. Projects occurring in other areas may apply for the General Permit. The E&S technician can guide you through the needed permit and application process..

Depending on your site, other agreements or instrument filings may be required. Examples are listed below. Additionally, other permits may be required depending on the type and scope of project that you are planning. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the HCCD office and request a Pre-Application meeting with the E & S Technician.

Below are links to the required documents and tools that are commonly used to complete the required information for an NPDES permit application.


On December 7, 2019, the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) published a final, reissued NPDES General Permit for Discharges of Stormwater Associated with Construction Activities (PAG-02) in the Pennsylvania Bulletin. 

The updated PAG-02 General Permit and supporting documents are now available through DEP’s eLibrary website, accessible at (select Permit and Authorization Packages, Clean Water, and PAG-02 NPDES General Permit) or through DEP’s Construction Stormwater website at: (select E&S Resources and look under Permits and Applications).